“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” – Keith Richards
Music has been a friend at all times. Thanks to the mesmerising songs composed by some talented composers.
Now imagine…….You have worked hard to compose a mind-blowing song, but you fail to get the desired exposure. Heart-breaking, isn’t it?
At a certain time in the music career, even pro musicians would require a music publisher to help you earn some extra money. Doing it alone can seem to be easy; however, getting help from professionals will make the work much easier and effective.
The concept of music publishers can be traced back to the late 1800s. A tiny-mini neighbourhood in New York City that was named as Tin Pan Alley was a house of music publishers and music composers who collaborated to create and release music that was different from the classical and religious genres.
Want to know how these music publishers help?
The job role of the music publishers
- Your music publisher will help you in licensing the songs that can be used in several media such as commercials, films, etc. providing you with the required recognition. This process is known as sync or synchronisation.
- They help you in collaborating with other singers or co-writers at a good deal.
- These publishers ensure that your song is licensed, compositions are used commercially, and the revenue generated from it is transferred to you without any issues.
Fear not! The amount they charge against their services is minimal and is calculated as a percentage of commission.
Yes! You pay them only if you benefit from their services.
Types of publishing companies
There are 4 types of publishing companies, such as –
- Major affiliated – These are independent companies that handle the licensing procedures.
- Writer-publishers – They are salaried individuals that are hired to handle the song administration. They are employed under the songwriter and is not a representative of any company.
- Major – These are organisations that are associated with big and well-known brands to give you the proper exposure.
- Independent – These are self-financed organisations that manage the in-house administration.
Music publishing – Benefits to look forward to
Synchronisation or sync provides you with royalties, substantial upfront fee and considerable exposure for a profitable source of income. Synchronisation involves collaborating with a record label or a publisher or both for a substantial potential of income.
With music publishers you can tie-up with famous composers or artists. Collaborating with famous artists help you gain more followers. It also opens up doors for oppurtunities and helps you experiment something different your signature style.
Give it a thought….you compose a song, and your competitor takes the credit. Depressing?
Be secured with copyrights!
There are two types of copyrights- publishing rights and master rights.
- Publishing rights are used for the copyrights on the song.
- Master rights are the copyrights on the sound recordings.
Music publishers only deal with publishing rights, which includes the lyrics and the music. Signing–up with a publisher signifies that you provide them the publishing rights and allow them to use your composition and get your compositions licensed on your behalf.
Do it yourself!
In case you do not find the above useful and do not want to appoint a publisher, you can always do it yourself on Music Gateway. Music Gateway is a type of a platform on which you can store files and music; collaborate with other artists or writers; find projects and deals to sync.